Upcoming & Current Events
Block By Block
Maraya Performing Arts World Premiere Dance Theater Musical Traveling Throughout San Diego’s City Parks
“Block by Block” is a world premiere site-specific dance theatre musical by Director and Choreographer, Anjanette Maraya-Ramey and her company, Maraya Performing Arts. Commissioned by the San Diego Parks Foundation as part of San Diego Mayor Todd Gloria’s “Summer for All of Us” initiative, this original piece encourages youth and families to “Come Play Outside.”
This dynamic and entertaining piece will be performed at various city park locations in historically marginalized neighborhoods throughout San Diego county. Professional local artists perform live music, spoken word poetry, and a fusion of dance styles including ballet, contemporary, hip hop, and breaking.
The show utilizes the concept of a traveling circus as a metaphor to depict diverse individual personal identities and the intersection of how a shared experience like a global pandemic can unite seemingly disparate individuals together to create something magical.
- Chandra R.M. Anthenill (Production Stage Manager)
- Kevin Anthenill (Production Manager/Technical Director)
- Shandon Campbell (Music Producer)
- Dyno Corrales (BBoy Choreographer)
- Alexis Ellis-Alvarez (ASM/Dresser)
- Monique Gaffney (Dramaturg)
- Jessica Harris (Costume Design)
- Wilfred Paloma (Assistant Director, Lyricist, & Maraya Executive & Artistic Associate) Viviana Peji (Director’s Assistant)
- Anjanette Maraya-Ramey (Concept Design/Creative Director/Director/Choreographer, Maraya Founder, CEO & Artistic Director)
- Matthew Ramey (General Manager)
- Olivia Popejoy (Electronic Music Composer)
- Lauren Garces(PR/Marketing)
- Angelica Cardona(Dramaturg Assistant)
- Chad (River) Adapon (Mime)
- Megan Donaldson (The Tightrope Walker)
- Jaden Guerrero (Clown - Musician)
- Dakota Ringer (Clown - Musician)
- Michael Lusung (Mime)
- Sutheshna Mani (Co-Ringmaster)
- Kara Nepomuceno (The Tattooed Lady)
- Andrew Paiva(Co-Ringmaster)
- Genel Querido (The Acrobat)
- Odessa Uno (The Magician)
A La Jolla Playhouse Commission.
Towards Belonging is a powerful dance film with original spoken-word poetry and music. Choreographer Anjanette Maraya-Ramey and her company Maraya Performing Arts create a deeply moving piece that unapologetically acknowledges systemic racism, with an urgent call to act and create change. Filmed at the Arts Park @ Chollas Creek, home to Writerz Blok, this love letter to Southeastern San Diego shares the joys and challenges of the neighborhood through evocative narrative, graffiti art and movement, while shattering biases and celebrating the deep pride, culture and history of the region.
Produced in association with the Jacobs Center for Neighborhood Innovation’s Arts Park @ Chollas Creek.
Friday, May 7, 2021
Ryan ‘Reveal’ Casicas is an internationally renowned B-boy & Hip-Hop Dancer whose career spans 28 years. His B-boy/Dance affiliation is with: Killafornia, Rock Force, Footsoulgers & Rythmbugz. B-Boy Reveal has performed and won numerous 1st place B-Boy Championships nationally and internationally. He has also toured in shows with Black Eyed Peas, Common, Wu-Tang, Eminem and Beyonce to name a few. He is a highly sought after judge and teacher and we are so honored and humbled to have him teach a master class at Maraya Performing Arts!
Be About It
A Facebook Live concert with local artists and performers highlighting Southeastern San Diego nonprofits.
Social Distancing, Outdoor Event at Bonita Museum!