Block By Block
Seeking Youth Performers
Maraya Performing Arts is looking for versatile performers who can sing, dance and/or act for the youth production of Block by Block. This is a brand new circus themed Dance Theatre Musical that showcases original music and songs with different styles of dance including: ballet, contemporary, and breaking (break dancing). Maraya Performing Arts encourages youth performers ages 18 & under to audition.
We encourage participants of all abilities to take the production workshops and audition. We are open to casting multiple participants in roles. All roles have major stage time: solos, duets, scenes/moments, and full company numbers.
Mimes (Dancers) - Breakers/Hip Hop Dancers; often comic relief. Uses movement/dance to communicate their feelings. Voiceless-.
Tight Rope Walker (Dancer or Actor) - Elegant; regal posture. The Tight Rope Walker physicalizes the internal pressures and stress of expectations; seeks to let go.
Clowns (Musicians) - Open to a variety of instruments: Keyboard, Guitar, Ukelele, etc; Interacts with the other performers and audience. Music underscores the inner life of the other characters. Moments of joy and epiphany occur throughout the story.
Ringmasters (Actors and/or Singers) - Leads of the company who facilitate the action and push the story forward. Ringmasters are the mirror to the audience; vocalize the deeper experiences shared within the story.
Tattooed Lady (Dancer or Actor) - Best friends with the Acrobat. These two characters demonstrate a love and support of one another like siblings; strong, poised and driven.
Acrobat (Dancer or Actor) - Best friends with the Tattooed Lady. These two characters demonstrate a love and support of one another like siblings; gentle and observant.
Magician (Dancer, Strong Mover) - Contemporary; Captivating presence, strong, sassy energy. The Magician is a conduit of power and representation of illusion.
Sunday, October 3, 2021
1:00 pm to 4:00 pm
*Must be actively training in classes in order to audition.
Thursday, October 7, 2021
6:00 pm to 9:00 pm
Audition Workshops on 9/19 and 9/26 HAVE BEEN CANCELLED
All Auditions, Rehearsals and Performances will take place at Maraya Performing Arts: 861 Harold Place Drive #208 Chula Vista, CA 91914.
PLEASE NOTE BEFORE AUDITIONING & COMMITTING TO THE SHOW:
- All participants who are cast, MUST be actively training in classes, preferably in an 8-week class session. Please check out our class schedule to view our classes.
- The Fall Class Session (A) runs: August 30, 2021 through October 22, 2021.
- The subsequent Fall Class Session (B) runs: October 25, 2021 through December 17, 2021.
- PRODUCTION FEE: Cast members of "Block by Block" will be expected to pay a $295 production fee. Payment arrangements can be accommodated and spread out into installment payments of $155 each. You save $10 if you pay in full. Please contact us at email@example.com for further questions or concerns regarding payment arrangements.
- The production fee includes 8 weeks of rehearsals. This is approximately 60 hours in the room working directly with professional Directors & Choreographers. It also includes costume design, set design, set construction, creative team salaries, administrative staff salaries, technicians, sound equipment, general operating costs and supplies.
- Performers will have 2 weekends of shows (Thursday through Sunday) for a total of 14 performances!
- The production fee and ticket sales cover only a fraction of the costs to produce a high caliber show. We rely on class tuition, grants, funders, and individual donors as well to make this all possible.
- COSTUME FEE: Due to COVID, each cast member should also budget an estimated $100-$150 for costumes/shoes that they will maintain throughout the run. Each participant will own/keep the costumes they purchase at the end of the run of the show. Costume design and appropriate links will be shared with parents.
- REHEARSAL & PERFORMANCES: Please check the Rehearsal & Performances Tab on our website to view the full rehearsal, tech, and performance schedule.
- (1) song you sing that is 1 minute;
- (1) one-minute monologue; and/or
- (1) minute dance solo freestyle or pre-choreographed.
- 1:00 p.m. - 1:30 p.m. - Sign in, Guardian/Participant Orientation Meeting
- 1:30 p.m. - 1:45 p.m. -Group Vocal Warmup/Learn phrase. Distribute Script sides.
- 1:45 p.m. - 2:45 p.m. - Vocal/Acting Audition (one at a time). Sing 1 minute pre-prepared solo or perform 1 minute monologue and perform script sides.
- 2:45 p.m. - 3:00 p.m. - Group Dance Warmup/Learn Phrase
- 3:00 p.m. - 3:55p.m. - Dance Audition (small groups/one at a time improv). Dance (1) minute pre-prepared solo or do (1) minute of freestyle/improv.
- 3:55 p.m. - 4:00 p.m. - Closing Announcements/Next Steps
For any questions or concerns, please contact us: (619) 934-2999 or firstname.lastname@example.org.